Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Little Mongrel Dog--Brave and Courageous

When I was in high school, we read this story by Faulkner. I didn't care for Faulkner. I got lost in his imagery and one-sentence chapters. However, I found myself drawn into this book. My mother was a UKC (United Kennel Club) judge. My father had been a hunter. My family raised Walker Coonhounds. Magnificent creatures. My heart still skips and my breath still catches when I see one. I understood the art of hunting. I understood the boy in Faulkner's short story.

When I reached the quote below, I sobbed. Perhaps it was because I have seen the fierce competition born of fear and pride that erupts between two animals. I have felt the helplessness of watching competitions that were not intended but could not be stopped. Perhaps it was the memory of animals lost to injury and old age.

More likely, it is because I understood the heart of the dog--not belonging, being too small and insignificant for anyone to recognize my impact, having my bravery called noise.

This morning as I asked the Lord about a new name for my blog, He brought this quote to mind. As I read it, again I cried for all those who understand the heart of the dog. To you I say, Be courageous. People may call it noise, but it doesn't make you less brave.

"...And a little mongrel dog showed him that, by possessing one thing
other, he would possess them both (humility and pride); and a little dog,
nameless and mongrel and many-fathered, grown yet weighing less than six pounds,
who couldn't be dangerous because there was nothing anywhere much smaller, not
fierce because that would have been called just noise, not humble because it was
already too near the ground to genuflect, and not proud because it would not
have been close enough for anyone to discern what was casting that shadow, and
which didn't even know it was not going to heaven since they had already decided
it had no immortal soul, so that all it could be was brave even though they
would probably call that too just noise."

--"The Bear", William Faulkner

2 comments:

  1. :)Be Bold and be you! Yes. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    My first though: Oh, Linda, don't do that.

    LOL!

    Have you ever read Faulkner? I have found people either love him or not. Personally, I find his psychological descriptions incredible, BUT you have to do a lot of wading. I remember reading one story where a whole page was one long sentence. Still, I liked Steinbeck--even as dismal as he was--because of his view into the characters' minds. Faulkner's is better, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete