Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Giving Thanks for the Perfect Thanksgiving

You ever have those days that seem utterly perfect? That was my day.

I woke up about 6:30 after a deep night's sleep. Eight beautiful hours of rich rest. I woke up to my brother's dog sleeping beside my bed and wagging her tail when she saw me peek over the mattress.

Then I started coffee, fed the dogs, set out the rib roast so it would come to room temperature, and went outside to start a fire in the fire pit.

Over the next three hours I did some lunch prep, like getting stuff in the oven on time, but mostly I sat by the fire pit wrapped in a blanket, praying, drinking coffee, reading my Bible, and being wondrously content.


The Larsens, our "other family" invited us to dinner with them today. We love them. They are just amazing gifts, but because we had company coming, we had to decline. Still, Dawna brought of Pink Stuff. One of our absolute favorites! And since lunch was going to be later in the day, we did a taste test for breakfast.

My non-bio bro texted, and we chatted some. He does my heart good.

My friend Leanna texted to wish us a happy Thanksgiving. I had actually thought about her earlier in the day. Four years ago, we spent the holiday when her family. In fact, that year we spent a lot of holidays with her family. Thanksgiving was a wondrous blessing because our family wasn't getting together, WonderGirl had just had her appendix out, and I needed to not be needed. So Leanna's family let us enjoy their company and couch. Despite their having copious amounts of incredibly delicious food, they also let me bring my mom's dressing, and I really needed that. I miss my mom a lot at holidays.

My brother flew home from Georgia last night, so he was able to come over today. We had dinner, played a cooperative team game (which we lost), and just were. You ever have a day when you just were, and it was the best day ever? This is that day.

Oh, and lunch was good, too.

After my brother and his dog left, I took a long nap on the couch and woke up the sound of my kids laughing hard as they played Minecraft. I just lay there and listened a long time, knowing this is gold right here. Having my kids home, their laughing together, their being best friends, our family. Yep. Gold.

For dinner we didn't do left overs. We are burnt out on turkey and ham, so we did rib roast, which was good, and then my brother took home the leftovers. So for dinner, since my daughter and I aren't counting calories today, my son and I had corn dogs. I thoroughly enjoyed that corn dog. In fact, I think it is the best corn dog I have ever eaten. And while we ate, we watched A Charlie Brown Christmas to kick of the season of receiving The Gift of Christ and giving to others because giving to others in need is a natural outflow of having received Christ.

Now the kids are in their rooms with the doors open, yelling and laughing across the hall to each other. And I am listening, soaking it all in. I am heart-full and stomach happy.

Yep. Best Thanksgiving ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment