Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Monday, September 7, 2015

What is the Point of Being a Christian

Last week I had a great conversation with a friend of mine about what it really means to be a Christian and to live the Christian life. We see things very much alike, but sometimes he says things far better than I do, so I’m going to use his words.

“Pastors ask the wrong question. They ask if a person wants to be saved. Duh. Of course they do. No one wants to go to hell. They ask if they want to be blessed by God. Who wouldn’t? What they need to ask is, ‘Are you willing to let Jesus be the Lord of your life and live only for Him? If you aren’t, then you don’t understand salvation.'”

He’s right.

If all you think “accepting Jesus” means is saying He exists and wanting Him to be good to you, you don’t understand what being a Christian really is.

Let me give you a vivid picture. Jesus died on a cross to save all who believe in Him and serve Him from their sins. Of the eleven disciples who stayed faithful to Him, ten were martyred, and they tried to martyr the other, but when they couldn’t, they exiled him. Of course, that is where he received what we call the book of Revelation. Not looking very "I know the good plans I have for you", is it?

What is my point? The point of Christianity is not to enjoy some R&R in the lap and luxury of Jeremiah 29:11. The point of Christianity is found in Ephesians 4.

11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.

The purpose of Christianity is for us to become like Christ.

The point of attending  church on Sunday is so we learn about Christ and apply what we’ve learned so we serve him better, grow in faith, mature, and become like Him.

I have yet to find where the point of Christianity is to be blessed and have an easy life. In fact, I’ve read the Bible, and Jesus says if you love Him and really serve Him like we are called to do, it’ll be hard.

In the next several posts, I am going to share with you spiritual disciplines that will empower you to develop an intimate relationship with the Lord, grow in your faith, and understand the Bible more, and in doing so, you are more equipped to become what a Christian should be...like Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment