Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Truth at Any Time of Day

It's 1:00 am as I begin this. I went to sleep about 10:30, and less than two hours later, I was sitting upright in bed coughing horribly. I tell you frankly that I am tempted to have a pity party, but I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'm going to tell you what I know.

God is good.

Such a simple statement, and yet, the vastness of it, if we indulge in it, would leave us on our face in more than humble gratitude. It would do more than declare His goodness. It would show our value. I think if we ever allow ourselves to entertain the truth of the lengths He goes to in order to be good to us, it would so radically change our view of both Him and ourselves that we could not live in mental, spiritual, or emotional poverty.

If we sat and listed the goodness of God that came forth in a single day, we would be overcome by His attention to detail. Let me give you an example from my day.

Because God is good...
...I woke up this morning after sleeping last night in our new sunroom with the windows open so the humidity could work as a natural vaporizer to break up the gunk in my head so I can breath.
...My healthy son was sleeping on the floor next to me. He had gotten up in the night because he has the ability to walk, wandered in to check on me, and lay down near me to comfort me.
...We had breakfast.
...I did laundry in a washing machine with clean water.
...I hung my clothes on a clothesline in our nice backyard with the help of my two able children.
...We went to diving classes where I sat and wrote a story in the first class and talked to a sweet mom in the second class.
...The teacher even let Anna stay in Robert's class so she could practice her more advanced dives.
...I was able to take a nap.
...We were all able to have lunch, and the children made their own while I lay down and let the medicines course through my system. I could afford the medicine that makes life a bit more bearable right now.
...The children took baths in clean water that was warm.
...They were able to use shampoo that neutralized the chlorine so their hair won't fry.

I could keep going, but the list above does not get us to 1:00 pm, and I haven't mentioned our working vehicle, the gas we could buy, the clean drinking water, the comfortable beds we sleep in, the books we like to read, the Bibles we have to read any time we have the sense, the couch recliner that allows my throat to remain clear when lying down makes me feel like I'm suffocating, hot stuff to drink, crayons, or innumerable other things

God is good.

Right now, my chest hurts. My neck muscles are aching, and I am tired. I'm frustrated that nothing alleviates the coughing, and I am ready to have energy and freedom to play with my children.

But you know what? That doesn't change the truth that God is good. My cough is bad, but God is good. Being up in the middle of the night is annoying, but God is good.

Circumstances of life in this world can stink, but that does not change the truth I know--God is good.

I don't know stinky stuff you are dealing with right now, and I don't know how or when it will resolve, but may you find joy and peace for the process because you know...God is good.

2 comments:

  1. How true this is. God is good - even in the midst of the gunk in life - he is good. Amsen

    Jerri - I hope you are feeling much better by the time you get this. I'm thinking and praying for you.

    And don't forget to pick up your award. ((((h))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to start a rainy day ... being reminded by my most precious friend on earth that GOD IS GOOD all the time and how nice to be reminded to count all the precious and perfect things he provides. I am smiling! He is so good!

    ReplyDelete