Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

I'm Jerri, and I'm Good

This morning I am feeling...like satan is trying to put me back in a casket God raised me from.

I've heard a lot of, "You are so broken, scarred, wounded...not well enough to realy live yet."

Wrong.

I'm Jerri, and I'm good.

From a personal correspondence...

It's not polished. It's just true.
*******************

I've tried to be very "diplomatic" in what I've said and how I've said it because it seemed like the honorable thing to do. However, I think I need to clarify some things so folks understand where I am and can offer encouragement and support (or not) accordingly.

I am not Rob's widow. I was simply the woman married to him when he died.

My experience as "the widow" is not like most anyone else I know, and while I appreciate the deep compassion so many people extend, I simply cannot and WILL NOT do this widow gig.

We were one month from the divorce being final. I had known since early last fall Rob had decided he didn't want to come home.

Yes, his decisions hurt me. Yes, the failure of my marriage hurt me. But, when I grieve, I don't grieve as Rob's wife. I grieve as a woman who watched a lot of her life change dramatically in a year. I grieve the loss of family and friends that are no longer part of our lives. I grieve as someone who hates divorce and tried so hard to avoid it. I grieve for my children who only see a big black hole where their dad isn't anymore.

And, yes, for a long time all I saw was that hole, but I am not there anymore. If you notice, my pronouns have changed. I no longer us "we" or "us". It's "I" and "me". I am referring to life experiences less and less in relation to Rob and more and more as simpy life experiences. I've been to DC. Doesn't matter if Rob was there or not. *I* went to DC.

I am Jerri.

I am not the grieving widow of Rob Phillips.

I choose to define today, not be defined by the last year...or the 19 before that.

I'm not sad. I'm not depressed. I'm not...gloomy. If you think I am, talk to some folks who hang out with me, text me, or talk to me regularly.

Yes, I am still processing. I lived in an altered reality in Asperger's hell for 19 years. Having to figure out what was real and what was mirage, but I'm okay with that, and thankfully, I've been blessed with some amazing people to talk and walk me through it.

I'm learning a new life. Really, that is all it is. I've talked with several miltary friends who say coming back to the States after a deployment is relearning life. Moving from the country to the city is relearning life. The basics are the same, but the nuances and reality of logistics are different. That is it.

It isn't some deep wound or some glaring scar. It's simply figuring out the logistics and learning how to take care of the basics with new logistics.

And yes, some days it is hard. I went to sleep May of 2010 with a preteen happy to trust Mom knows virtually everything. I woke up June 2011 with a 14-year old who has a mind of her own and is trying to figure out how to use it in a productive positive way for God's glory. She is figuring out how to be herself and still honor me. I'm figuring out how to be Mom and respect her being herself. Not easy, but we are finding the laughter...and honest struggles...in the adventure. In some ways we are "growing apart". In other ways--deep ways--we are growing so much closer.

For those who are "deeply concerned", I do have a counselor. She's been great, one of my most wonderful supporters, and she keeps canceling my sessions because according to her, when someone 4 months out from the end of the year I've had is doing better on all fronts than people a few years out are hopefully doing, she sees no reason to see that person. And I tell her the same thing everytime--God is good.

And He is

And because of that...

I'm Jerri, and I'm good. 

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Way to go, Jerri! That is what matters....that YOU are good; no one else can know what it takes to be you and process your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharing your story is using your struggle to minister to and bless others, I think that's about the best thing a person can do with trials in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jerri. I always look forward to your posts. I'm all for honesty and saying it like it is. My friends are direct and know me the same way. God has made you who you are for a reason and its good to see you accepting you and loving you (obviously I say this as someone who really doesn't know you - make any sense?) Ps 138 v 1-3: I will praise You with my whole heart; before the gods I sing praise to You. I will worship toward Your holy temple, and praise Your name for Your lovingkindness and Your truth; for You have magnified Your word above all Your name. In the day when I cried out, You answered me, AND MADE ME BOLD WITH STRENGTH IN MY SOUL.
    Have a blessed weekend, Jerri - god created you one of a kind
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mizzbrizz, thank you for rejoicing with me! Been missing you, my dear!

    PQSongwriter, my humble gratitude for your words of encouragement. I copied your comment and printed it big so I can see it often...to remember...and to give me a kick in the bottom when it would be easier to be quiet and hide. With sincerest gratitude...thank you.

    Tracy, you bless be deep. THANK YOU for the PERFECT word. I thank God for you. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete