Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

It Really Is THAT Simple

Okay, I'm trying to think of a really cool alliteration for the title of this post because I don't want it to be bland or intimidating. I want it to be EXCITING because the Bible IS exciting. Learning God's Word, hearing His heart, understanding Him...THAT is wondrous stuff.

Unfortunately, I think people have made it hard. The truth is learning the Bible is easy. Really. I wouldn't lie about this.

I get asked fairly often how I know so much about the Bible. Let me say up front, I do not consider myself a Bible scholar. I don't get into the whole theological religiousity of it all. My Bible knowledge is not from a library of books or a college Bible program. I don't have time for all that.

I also don't have time or patience for hard reading programs. Really? Someone wants me to keep that paper that tells me to read all those disjointed chapters for a whole year? Thank you for thinking I am either that organized or I really care that much.

Nope. I need simple. So here it is. Jerri's super spiritual, only religious if you make it that way, don't need anything but a Bible reading program:

Three chapters a day.

Seriously. I learned tons about the Bible by simply reading it.

All I did was read three chapters a day. By reading three chapters a day, I could finish the Bible in a year, so I did.

About 22 or 23 years ago, I started reading the Bible through from beginning to end. I did that for three or four years in a row. It is like any material. If I expose myself to it enough times, my mind will retain it. I just kept reading it over and over.

I didn't read it to study it or for memorization purposes. I simply read it. Beginning to end.

The wonderful thing is I didn't have to figure out which day I was on or try to catch up. I could start any day of the year and simply read the next three chapters in the Bible. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

So now you know. I'm no Bible genius. I'm just a Bible reader. It really is that simple.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jerri - I am so disappointed - here I was, thinking you a bible scholar of note (smiles) I love simplifying things and this post is one that helps me do just that. 3 chapters a day, hey, Hope psalm 119 lands on a rainy, put your feet up with hot chocolate kind of day!!!
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, we are so much alike that it is not funny. I don't like to read the Bible in all of those segments on those sheets either. I like to read it straight through. I DO want to spend a little bit more time on the prophets this year, especially the minor ones but I figure it's okay with God if I'm a little later than a year getting through the Bible. If He wants to take me deeper in a certain book, that is fine with me.I have said almost exactly what you wrote here today to so many of my Bible students. You just immerse yourself in God's word and let His Holy Spirit teach you as you go. I once taught a couple who had been married fifty-five years. I felt like they should be teaching me! Anyway, he said that he and his wife had read through the Bible each of those years and they never failed to find something new each time they read it. So, so true! Keep going with the blogs, Jerri. You bless me and I know you bless others!!!!
    His,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, LOL I try to load up on the shorter Psalms knowing 119 and the major prophets are just around the corner. LOL

    Mary, you bless me, dear one. :-)

    ReplyDelete