Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Would I Have Done That?

Big news in the great state of Texas. Tonya Couch, mother of affluenza teen Ethan Couch, is working as a bartender in the Metroplex area. And you know why it is news? Because some finger pointing, self-righteous judges will have something to say about it. In fact, they'll have a lot to say about it.

The owner of the bar had this to say: "I hired her because I think everyone deserves a second chance."

Her lawyer had this to say, "This is where she could get a job, and she is choosing to work instead of living off the government."

What do I have to say? I really don't know that I would have hired her...and I would have been wrong.

See, there are two stories here. There is the story about Tonya Couch working a menial job in an effort to rebuild her life (admirable), and there is the man who is giving her the second chance.

First of all, if I were God, I wouldn't have hired me either. If you go on my background, there is not a lot to compel Him to let me be a blogger for Him, but He hired me anyway. Tonya Couch made mistakes. Some that were really big, and most of us look at her and wonder how she didn't know better. Because she didn't. There are things I did and thought that I look back on and wonder how in the world I didn't know better. Because I didn't. I knew what was imparted to me. I had to learn something different. Tonya Couch did what she knew. Where did she learn it? How will she learn something different...unless someone gives her the chance?

See a second chance isn't just a second chance to get it right. A second chance is a chance to learn to do it better, to learn you can do it better.

A second chance is someone willing to invest in you, someone willing to be part of your answer and not someone saying you aren't their problem.

A second chance is a chance to rewrite the ending of your story because someone is convinced that even a villain can choose to be a hero, and they are willing to endure the battering that can come with the change.

I've said untold number of times I believe people should get a second chance, but believing someone should get a second chance and giving them a second chance is not the same thing. One is loving with words. The other is loving with deeds. One is ugly dressed in makeup. The other is lovely glowing from the core.

That bar owner is lovely.

Me? Grateful that God showed Tonya Couch the bar owner's lovely instead of letting her be turned off to Him because of my ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment