Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

When You Don't Know What to Say...Declassified Navy Information Works

Yesterday my wonderful friend Sharilyn Klahn moved from this piece of eternity to the next. She had hoped to be Home by Christmas, and the Lord was so kind to give her this gift.

I won't lie, and I won't wax poetic. The honest fact is I know things  that hurt her here are no longer hurting her. I know the cancer isn't ravaging her body, and I know she can smile for the first time in months. She had so missed her smile since the cancer had paralyzed her face, and her smile was so beautiful. I know all that.

I also know I keep looking at her blog...wishing to see a new entry. I know I saw a rock in a stream yesterday, and it looked like a heart. I almost texted her a picture. I know the package of goodies that she always sends at Christmas isn't coming this year, and I have never craved peanut brittle like I do now. Not just ANY peanut brittle either. SHARILYN'S peanut brittle.

Around 10:00 last night, I called my friend Scott and told him Sharilyn was gone. He told me he didn't know what to say. Trying not to sound like I was crying really hard, I said, "Just talk to me about anything. Tell me about your day...your plans for the weekend..."

And he did.

Then the conversation wandered....

...to his time in the military and declassified Navy stuff...and how he checks online to find out what is public so he knows what he can talk about. :-)

...then we talked about funny funeral moments--sing alongs, surf music, and songs neither of us like.

...how certain key people in his life make some navy shooters look bad.

...weddings...and how weird wedding planners can be...and how candles not being lit should be a sign to simply turn around and walk back out.

...and....

...and I'm smiling again thinking about it, thinking about the fact he had no idea what to say...and neither did I really...but by picking up the phone after 10:00 and talking even when he had to be up early...by just talking and being there...he said tons...

...And it was what I needed to hear.

5 comments:

  1. Yea! So glad he was there for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has nothing at all to do with your post, but yay, you're back! Or I guess what I actually mean is, yay, I found you again! I haven't looked in on your old blog for a while, but did today, and discovered you had a new blog - I knew you wouldn't stop writing :)
    Glad to 'hear' your voice again!
    Donna from NZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. DONNA!!!

    What a truly wonderful Christmas gift! You are lavish treasure from the King to me. Oh....My heart is so filled by seeing you here. Are you well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a little frantic with last-minute Christmas stuff, plus my 7yr old son having to get another cast on his broken arm tomorrow, but all good apart from that.
    I've been reading through the 'Better Answer' series - it's really good, please keep posting them! I have a 'computer friend' who I'm trying to support at the moment. She lost her mum 4mths ago, and 2wks ago her 3rd baby died 20wks into the pregnancy. She's not a Christian. I want to be there for her, but I'm very aware of how easy it is to hurt instead of comfort, so this is really good stuff for me to be reading right now!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about your son's arm. He is on my prayer list!

    I am so thankful God is equipping you through this series. I just wept when I read about your friend. I cannot imagine the loss. Oh, to lose a baby...I wrote a lengthy response, but I'm just going to post it as a post. I think others might be blessed by it, too, so I'm going to share. Thank you for bringing up this topic, although I'm so sorry you need to. I'm praying for your friend.

    I hope y'all are having a merry Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete