Pages

UNDAUNTED
For a few very hard years this word was my mantra.
The word means
-undismayed; not discouraged; not forced to abandon purpose or effort
-undiminished in courage or valor; not giving way to fear
But the truth is, I was often dismayed by everything that had taken place, and I did battle discouragement. I battled fear and doubts. I hurt and was angry, and sometimes "undaunted" sounded more like a mockery than a mantra, and I was determined to be real about all of it in these posts, thus the name, Undaunted Reality. More than that, though, I was determined to live undaunted, not because I'm so great or strong, but because my God is, and no matter what this world looks like, He is the only reality that matters.
I pray I live the reality of Him beautifully undaunted.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Believing in Full

It is late, and I should be sleeping. Instead, I've been lying here in the dark staring at the ceiling I can't see as the day ambles back through my mind. My mind is so awed, and my heart is so full. Sleep cannot find its way in.

Every year I pray for a "word" for the year. It might be an actual one word thing, or it might be a phrase. I've had years when God gave me a whole chapter. This year He gave me one word--"fulfill".

I looked the word up. It means "completely whole lacking nothing, containing all that is possible."

Wow.

The definition stills leaves me amazed.

I will tell you straight up that the Lord has fulfilled a LOT this year. My children and I are in great places spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. It has been a very good year. However...

There are areas of my life that don't feel fullfilled. In my mind and heart, there are some things lacking and there is space for a few other things. In fact, there are some things He has promised that have not arrived. And there are only 9 days left in the year, and I'm getting a bit...antsy.

This morning as I was praying, I confessed my weaknesses. In my weakness, He is strong. I need His strength to keep my faith boosted. I need Him to strengthen me because this is an area where I am still maturing. Instead of trying to cover it up, I took it to Him, laid it at His feet, and asked Him to handle it. Then I went on and prayed about other things.

When my quiet time was done, I checked my "random verse of the day".

Numbers 23:19
God is not human, that he should lie,
not a human being, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
Does he promise and not fulfill?

"Jerri, have I ever promised anything and not fulfilled it?"

Never.

In fact, He is so crazy deep concerned about me personally I often find myself lost in the awe of it. He is so personal. I lose my keys, look until I am convinced I tossed them in the trash somehow, ask Him to show me, minutes later keys are in my hand. REALLY, He is totally all about me.

Like today.

My neighbor is Vietnamese. She makes the best eggrolls I have ever had. I could eat these things until I was sick. In the past, she brought them over fairly regularly. However, it has been over 2 1/2 years since the last time she has blessed us with egg rolls. I was thinking about that this morning while considering what to bake for everyone in the neighborhood for Christmas, something we used to do every year but haven't as we've been healing.

A few hours later, someone knocked on our door. Yes. It was Pham. Yes. In her hand was a bag of eggrolls. In the other hand was homemade sauce. Such delights! Inconsequential to the world, but so good for my heart. Desire of my heart? Maybe. Who am I to say what importance God puts on desires? I enjoy these eggrolls immensely, and I missed them. Perhaps when an Almighty God is totally all about showing you His promises do not fail, that is desire enough.

That would have been amazing enough, but there is more.

Tuesday night I was doing some much needed shopping. While looking for winter clothes, I prayed about jewelry. In a clear answer, I heard, "I will handle that."

Okay.

When Pham was here, she said she had something for the kids and me. She went home and returned with a beautiful set of candles (also a WAY amazing story) and a bag of stuff. I know. You know what it is, but not just jewelry. Try EIGHT earring/necklace sets, and they are lovely.

Then my Christmas plans took a hit.

My brother, whom I think very highly of and enjoy greatly, was going to be here Christmas Day. However, he is driving in from an area with a good chance of rough winter weather. He can't stay the night, and I don't want him to risk driving into ice and freezing stuff, so I suggested we reschedule. And that was hard because I know his life schedule, and he is genuinely busy. His schedule is not forgiving or agreeable. Until a few days ago, we weren't even sure he was scheduled off for Christmas, so I knew if I gave up Christmas Day the chances of Christmas with him at any point plummeted. Still, I would prefer he be safe, so I told him I thought it would be better if he stay home and tried to psych myself up to cooking a "big" Christmas dinner for three of us.

"I have off Christmas Eve. Want to do Christmas then?"

What?!?!?!? Christmas Eve?!?!?!?! YES! YES! Happy Snoopy dance YES!!!

There were other things. Other prayers answered, kindnesses received, and just overwhelming personal attention. Things I would think of or wonder about or wish I knew...and within hours, they were put in my hands.

And these things keep floating through my mind over and over, and sleep isn't coming, and I'm really okay with that because I have this love drunk smile on my face because of everything He did...and what He is going to do...the promises He is going to fulfill.

Think about it. If He values me so much that He plans ahead to give me my favorite eggrolls that I haven't thought of in...,months...
...if He gave me jewelry that is beautiful...
...if He worked my brother's schedule to get him here despite the weather so we could have Christmas together because I really like it...
...if He adores me so much that He gives me the unnecessary things in my heart and the people who give me great joy...
...if He is all about those "little" things that look so nothing-ish from a life impact perspective...
...surely there is nothing "great" that He will not give me...
...no promise of fullfillment He will withhold.

There is no strength He will withhold...
...no gift of faith to strengthen my ability to stand...
...knowing He does not, cannot lie.

As I finish this, there are now 8 days left of this year.

I believe they are going to be full.

2 comments:

  1. Daddy has been so good. I am so thankful He never changes, but also that He changes our hearts, heals our hurts, redeems the wrongs, and can even make good out of the choices we make in disobedience or out of fear. Abundance and blessings abound.

    ReplyDelete